Small businesses need funding. However, small business financing can be difficult to access, especially if your enterprise is new or doesn’t yet generate significant turnover. Online business loans provide a great alternative to traditional high street finance for many companies looking to find essential cash flow to fund growth. If you’re currently looking into how to get loans for a small business then this could be a great place to start.
7 tips for a successful business loan
- Identify how much you need to borrow. If you want to apply for business loans online you need to know exactly what you’re looking for. Most lenders will want to see the purposes for which you need the cash and an exact figure in terms of your application. This will also be important to know so that you can work out how much the borrowing is going to cost and whether it is genuinely affordable for your business.
- Shop around for the best deals. The best business loans for UK SMEs are often available online but that still leaves you with a lot of options to choose from. When you’re looking for small business funding, every lender may have different requirements and it’s important to find one that works well for you. Some lenders may be willing to offer a larger loan, others may charge less interest or lower fees. The more research you do before you apply for a loan online, the easier it will be to find the loan that is right for you.
- What are the requirements for small business loans? It’s essential to identify lender requirements before you start making applications to minimise the chances of being turned down for a small business loan. For example, some lenders may have specific requirements in terms of the size of the business or the current level of turnover. If your business doesn’t meet these requirements then this is not the right type of loan – or lender – for you. So, when you have found some good deals from some appealing lenders, make sure you go into detail in terms of asking what are the requirements for small business loans with that lender.
- How to get loans for a small business – your role. Especially if the business is fairly new and not that well established, a lender may look at the creditworthiness of the business owner. You may even be asked to stand as a guarantor for the loan being offered to your enterprise. So, it’s essential to ensure that your own finances are in good condition and that you have a good credit score. This may mean taking steps to reduce any personal debt that you have and being able to show that you have a sound income source.
- Make sure you have all the documents ready. The process of applying for online business loans may require a range of different supporting documents if you want to make sure that your application is accepted. For example, you’ll need to be able to provide evidence of the current financial position of the business. Other documents that the lender may require for small business funding include:
- Cash flow projections. This will give the lender some insight into how your business is likely to perform in the coming months or years and whether it is going to be able to make repayments on any finance that is approved.
- A business plan. Especially for a new enterprise, lenders will want to see evidence of why the business needs the finance, how it will be used and where the business is going in terms of profit and growth.
- Current financial statements. These will show the existing position of the business and its finances.
- Evidence of ownership. You may need to provide evidence of how the business is set up and who owns it, as well as proof of identity for the individuals involved.
- Be ready to pitch your business – and its need for small business financing. It’s a good idea to have a short written pitch prepared that you can integrate into your application for online business loans. This should tell the lender something about the business and show why the financing is necessary.
- Don’t give up. The best business loans uk may not be the first ones that you apply for. If you’re turned down by a lender then it’s always a good idea to ask why. It may be that there’s an issue with the business or your credit score but it could also simply be that this isn’t the right type of loan for you. If that happens, don’t give up but focus on finding another lender who might be more able to help instead.
These small business loan tips could help you to find finance when your organisation needs it the most. If you are looking for a small business loan, our unsecured business loans could be the perfect option.